Thursday, April 27, 2017

Never Has So Much Been Given…………………..

     I begin this post with a tribute to a coworker who recently passed away following a brief struggle with ovarian cancer. I did not know her personally – never met her family or learned how many children she had of her own. But I did know her professionally – mingling with her and other 4-H Youth professionals (employed with and working in other parishes) at workshops, contests, and planning meetings. And, yet, after learning of her death, I felt a personal loss; the loss that was expressed by the many comments left on a tribute page made available by the funeral home which handled her family's arrangements.

     As I read the tributes to my former coworker, I reflected on how she and other youth professionals and volunteer leaders had positively influenced at least two generations of Louisiana youth and adults during a 33 year period. And, before I left the page of tributes, a very, emotional thought popped in my mind – one, last sentence descriptive of the legacy left by my former coworker: a paraphrase of Winston Churchill’s tribute to the British air force, defending Britain against a mightier foe during the dawn of the second world war, when he said, “Never has so much been given to so many by so few."


     The effects of individuals serving the needs of others can be substantiated by research; but they can also be confirmed by a search of the heart. Occasional reflection on how the actions of these “few” benefit so many is, in itself, a lasting tribute. Teachers, mentors, and missionaries; fire, police, and rescue personnel and volunteers; military service men and women; and other “like” individuals – these are the people worthy of the tribute given by Winston Churchill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment